The Castle Garden Bazaar in Budapest

The redevelopment of the Bazaar in addition to the thorough reconstruction also included the additions of a multifunctional event hall and parking facilities underground. Furthermore, to connect the levels of the Royal Castle and the riverside of the Danube a new pedestrian walkway-axis, stairs, lifts and an escalator, were been built along the medieval walls. These new objects added to the old fortification walls were given distinguishing Cor-Ten protective layers.

Partners

  • Investor: Hungarian government
  • Architectural design: Középülettervező Zrt. Ferenc Potzner, Péter Pottyondy and Ádám Potzner
  • Production and installation: Alukonstrukt Kft.
Google maps image for pdf print
The Castle Garden Bazaar has been built between 1875 and 1883 in neo-renaissance style by Miklós Ybl, the most recognised Hungarian architect of that time. The 300 meter long building complex, which is now part of the UNESCO World Heritage site, was designed to both serve as an entrance and provide bordering for the Royal Gardens from the riverbank of the Danube.

The redevelopment of the Bazaar in addition to the thorough reconstruction also included the additions of a multifunctional event hall and parking facilities underground. Furthermore, to connect the levels of the Royal Castle and the riverside of the Danube a new pedestrian walkway-axis, stairs, lifts and an escalator, were been built along the medieval walls. These new objects added to the old fortification walls were given distinguishing Cor-Ten protective layers.